One of Beret's many passions, along with music, is theatre. She has been acting since high school, and became interested in music composition and sound design for the theatre in college. It was also in college that she discovered her love of playwriting. Over the years, Beret has been involved in numerous productions and festivals, and has even accumulated a number of awards for her theatrical achievements.
- The Women of Troy (Cassandra) at Bethany Lutheran College, directed by Benji Inniger - 2017
- Musical Tales Concerto: Growing Young, Growing Old (Jeannie/various) at State Street Theatre Co., directed by Michael Koester - 2017
- Rope Day (Harper/Psyche) at BLC, directed by David Roemhildt - 2017
- The Music Man (Chorus) at BLC, directed by Ann Fredrickson - 2017
- Theatre Physics 23 (Ithaca/various) at BLC, directed by Peter Bloedel - 2016
- Brigadoon (Widow Forsythe) at BLC, directed by Ann Fredrickson - 2016
- Run Out of Sky (Controller 2) at MN Shorts Festival, directed by Kasey Gratz - 2015
- Metamorphoses (Alcyone/various) at BLC, directed by Benji Inniger - 2015
- Jack the Ripper: Monster of Whitechapel (Angela) at St. Peter High School, directed by Colleen Bell - 2013
- Star-Crossed Lovers (X understudy) at SPHS, directed by Lyn Vavreck - 2012-13
- Our Town (Accompanist) at SPHS, directed by Colleen Bell - 2012
- War at Home (Introvert) at SPHS, directed by Lyn Vavreck - 2011-12
- Once On This Island (Erzulie) at SPHS, directed by Colleen Bell - 2011
Music Composition & Sound Design Credits:
- Tell It To The Wind (Composer, Musical Director, & Musician) at Bethany Lutheran College, directed by Benji Inniger - 2017
- Rope Day (Sound Designer) at BLC, directed by David Roemhildt - 2017
- The Snow Queen (Composer) at Merely Players Community Theatre, directed by Susan Olson - 2016
- Icehouse (Composer & Sound Designer) at BLC, directed by Peter Bloedel - 2016
- Aboveboard (Associate Composer) at BLC, directed by Peter Bloedel - 2016
Hear Beret's original theatre compositions.
Awards & Achievements:
- Ensemble Performance Achievement (Metamorphoses) - Kennedy Center American College Theatre Festival Region 5, 2016
- Original Music Compositions & Music Direction Achievement (Tell It To The Wind) - Kennedy Center American College Theatre Festival Region 5 Festival 50, 2018
- Regional Sound Design 1st Place (Tell It To The Wind) - Kennedy Center American College Theatre Festival Region 5 Festival 50, 2018
- Ensemble Performance Achievement (The Women of Troy) - Kennedy Center American College Theatre Festival Region 5 Festival 50, 2018
Beret's love of playwriting began in college when she took a playwriting class from theatre professor and world-renowned playwright, Peter Bloedel. Below is a selection of Beret's work from that course:
Momentous Theatre Productions
Momentous Theatre Productions is a new theatre company established by Beret Finken and Tessa Westedt. Beret and Tessa attended Bethany Lutheran College together, and both graduated with bachelor's degrees in Theatre. The two have since been married and are currently stay-at-home mothers to their baby sons, but their dream of owning their own theatre company quickly became too compelling to ignore. Thus, Momentous was born.
“The goal of Momentous Theatre Productions is to create high-quality, affordable theatrical experiences widely accessible to adults and children alike. Focusing on key elements of movement and song, time and symbolism, and the consequences of human decisions, our productions aim to draw audiences in to the stories they tell and leave them contemplating and discussing our shows long after they have left the theater.”
— Beret & Tessa
The company is in its early stages, but Beret and Tessa are working steadily to gain momentum for themselves and to create a tentative timeline for productions and workshops over the next five years. Currently, the two are in the process of writing their own play adaptation, which they plan to have finished by the end of next spring (2021). Their first production is slated to be performed either the end of next summer or beginning of next fall (2021).
Until Momentous establishes their own online presence, you can keep up with their latest news here on Beret's website or on her social media accounts. And, if you were curious about Beret and Tessa's relationship, here is a fun scene the two performed in their Acting II course at Bethany. More updates to come soon!